Engagement is an incredibly important metric because it promotes the ability for brands to reach deep into peer networks, which can promote virality and advocacy.
However, advocacy is ultimately where we want to get to through our engagement. We can define advocacy by the ability to grow and engage a fan base then encourage its members to interact with and advocate your product to their connected peers, thereby essentially doing the marketing for you. This chimes with the consumer’s instinctual trust in word of mouth recommendation over conventional marketing messaging.
Key to benefiting from the advocacy generated and shared by your audience is understanding who are the leading social influencers amongst your fans. You can uncover this information either by eye, noting those who regularly engage with your page, then reviewing their own social peer networks, or alternatively, using software to do this for you. Once correctly identified, there’s heaps you can do to keep them tweeting, sharing, engaging and generally supporting your page.
If you’re looking to get a fuller picture of the effectiveness of your social media efforts then we’d advise you measure a whole series of metrics. Here are just a few that we often measure for clients using a range of premium and free social tracking tools:
- Reach, followers and engagement
- Web traffic driven from social
- Share of social voice against competitors – who’s dominating the conversations
- Conversion rates (click through to actual purchases)
- Amplification rates – the ratio of shares per post to the number of overall followers
- Applause rate – the number of likes per post to the number of overall followers
- Email addresses collected
- Conversation clouds – are your key messages getting shared
- The true value of your social activities compared to other marketing mediums (e.g. PPC, PR, advertising etc).
Are you looking to understand more about your social media metrics and whether your investment is paying dividends? We’ve extensive experience helping brands understand the true worth of social media and providing a solid level of reasoning as to why and where investment should go into social media.